Questions and Answers - INDEX
WE are often asked certain questions which we invariably answer by reference to articles in the back issues of Unsearchable Riches. We find that some recurring questions have already been dealt with so satisfactorily in the magazine that we can hardly improve on what was said. The questions which come up most often are certainly on basic matters, and worthy of frequent review.
The questions come from our readers. The earlier questions were answered directly by A. E. Knoch. Later answers are selections taken from various back numbers of the magazine or in our other publications. Generally they will be from articles by Mr. Knoch, and in some cases we will edit them slightly in order to make them more directly and briefly responsive to the question. This is necessary, of course, since what was written was not originally in reply to a question.
1. Which was first in order of time, evil or the plan of salvation?
2. Did the covering of skins provided for Adam portray the reconciliation?
3. Is grace the basis of salvation in all the ages or only in the present age?
4. Was not God always favorably disposed towards mankind? Was He not always conciliated?
5. Can the atonement be applied to man's salvation by any other means than faith?
6. Did Job's wife say "Curse God, and die," or "Bless God, and die," and what did she mean in either case?
7. A certain writer says that in the parables of Matthew 13 we have a form of the kingdom different from that contemplated in the prophets and one that is foreign to God's mind. Is this so?
8. It seems very puzzling to one who does not understand the original languages that nearly every interpreter--some of good standing--give a different version of the passages they are considering. Can you tell me how this is?
9. Where is a resurrection from the lake of fire taught in the scriptures?
10. What is "the writing of truth" in Dan.10:21?
11. What Scripture is there which teaches that Adam's death passed beyond the dominion committed to him?
12. Why do you assume that one age, and only one, must be considered as covering the period from the Flood to the Day of the Lord?
13. If we, being complete in Christ, appear guiltless before God and no act on our part can separate us from that love, what incentive is there to induce one to resist the temptations of immorality?
14. In Isaiah 41:23 God claims exclusive power to forecast future events. HOW is it then that some predictions made by men (such as clairvoyants) have come to pass?
15. What is the meaning of the expression "Kiss the Son" in Psalm 2:12?
16. To what period of the exile does Psa.126 refer?
17. What is the force of "also" in 1 Tim.3:16?
18. Does not the word parousia refer exclusively to His coming to Israel?
19. If the Devil is to be destroyed, and the destroyed Devil is to be restored--then nothing seems to prevent the conclusion that death may be restored--and so the whole trouble commences all over again.
20. Is there a Kingdom of the Father before the consummation?
21. Should not 1 Cor.15:24 be punctuated as follows (with a period after consummation) and the clauses introduced by "whenever" be referred to "then" of verse twenty-eight?
22. Is the purpose of delivering up the Kingdom revealed?
23. Does 1 Cor.15:45-57 refer to a resurrection far beyond the millennium?
24. In a certain edition of the Bible a third speech is assigned to Zophar. Is this right? What grounds are there for this?
25. I have been told that Job 36:14 should read "among the holy." Both A. V. and R. V. read "among the unclean." Which rendering is right?
26. How can it be shown that "death" in 1 Cor.15:26 refers to the death state and not to the cessation of dying?
27. Are we not to understand "all rule" (1 Cor.15:24) as referring to opposing rule only as is explained in the next verse?
28. Does not God harden the hearts of those who do not believe so that they cannot believe and so are finally lost?
29. If Christ's words are not final in the case of Judas, how can we know they are final in the case of those who were not lost?
30. If repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ are essential to salvation, how can Judas and the devils be saved?
31. Is not the wilful sinner finally blotted out of the book of life?
32. Is there not a great gulf fixed so that no one can pass from death to life?
33. When it is said that the "last state" of the deliberately wicked is worse than the first, is not this the final state?
34. Does Eph.1:10 teach the destiny of all creatures in eternity?
35. What logical ground is there for changing "things" to "persons" in Eph.1:10 or Col.1:20?
36. When does the battle of Armageddon take place?
37. Are there not "vessels of wrath fitted to destruction" as well as "vessels of mercy which He had afore prepared into glory" (Rom.9:22,23)?
38. Will everything be swept off the earth and be burned up literally before our Lord sets up His kingdom?
39. How can there be only one age after the millennium when the devil, at the end of the thousand years, is to be tormented unto ages of ages?
40. When the Lord says, "I pray not for the world but for those whom thou hast given Me," is it not clear that some are not given Him (John 17:9)?
41. Would not "separation" be a good definition of death?
42. Is not Rev.22:11 a description of the final state?
43. Please explain 2nd Thessalonians 1:9.
44. What evidence is there that the number of books in the Bible is not sixty-six as usually given?
45. What is the believer's proper attitude, or what is God's purpose as to the healing of believers in answer to prayer without the use of other means at the present time?
46. What is the Scriptural definition of sin? What are the Hebrew and Greek words from which the English word "sin" has been translated?
47. Is the Fourth Commandment and are the remaining nine, of the Ten Commandments binding upon the Church? If so, to what extent?
48. Can the difference between "Universalism" and "Reconciliation" be stated in a few plain words?
49. Is all of the Revelation still future?
50. How shall we understand Gen.49:10?
51. How long a period of time is understood by the Lord's day?
52. What is the definition of a "Christian?" What is the difference, if any, between Christianity and religion?
53. What is the teaching of Job's friends?
54. What is the meaning of the word "end" (telos) in the Scriptures?
55. What will become of the rejecters of Jesus Christ those of the past, present, and who will refuse the Christ when He shall appear?
56. Have the times of the Gentiles come to an end?
57. Did Paul in his zeal for his countrymen, overstep the plain instruction of the Spirit (Acts 21:4)?
58. The following is a reply to questions which have come up concerning the translation of Phil.1:23.
59. When Paul says that Peter and the Circumcision with him "walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel" (Gal.2:14), did he not imply that there was only one gospel for him and them?
60. Did not Peter have a heavenly allotment (1 Peter 1:4)?
61. One of the things my school friends laugh at me the most about is the fact that I have never been baptized. Would you Please give me some more information about it?
62. What is the "systematizing of the deception?"
63. Are we the Bride of the Lamb?
64. Who is the Bride?
65. What is forgiveness of offenses?
66. What is pardon of sins?
67. Concerning 1 Corinthians 15:22 - Does the context require that the "all" be taken to mean "all believers" rather than "all humanity?" Does the context restrict the meaning of "vivify" to "resurrection" only?
68. Does God force His will on man?
69. Is the subjection of all described in Philippians 2:9-11 an unwilling acclamation, forced upon man?
70. Should not the Greek word aioonios be translated eternal in 2 Corinthians 4:18 where it is contrasted with things measured by time?
71. What is the sense of the Greek word, katargeoo, translated nullify in 1 Corinthians 15:24 and abolish in 1 Corinthians 15:26?
72. What is your answer to the charge that you "deny the deity of Christ?"
73. Do you deny the Personality of the Holy Spirit?
74. Are believers in Christ Jesus today supposed to keep the laws in the Old Testament?
75. Does not Romans 2:13 contradict your teaching that Christians are not required to observe the Old Testament commands?
76. What is the place of the Law in each of the two evangels?
77. Since we are justified in grace, why must we stand before the dais of God?
78. Is there any grace in the dais?
79. How does grace affect our attitude toward those who misjudge us or deny us our rights?
80. How can there be unity among believers when they disagree over important teachings of the Scriptures?
81. Why is it so difficult to keep this unity of the spirit?
82. What is the purpose for prayer?
83. What are the patterns for prayer today?
84. What is the place of thanksgiving in our prayers?
85. Does not the word "eonian" in such passages as John 6:40,47 have the sense of "eternal" or "everlasting?"
86. What are your thoughts regarding the suggestion that "eonian life" refers to a quality of life?
87. What assurance do we have that our life will be endless?
88. How can grace deal with the failures of our flesh?
89. If we, being complete in Christ, appear guiltless before God and no act on our part can separate us from that love, what incentive is there to induce one to resist the temptations of immorality?
90. How can we tell who is right in a dispute?
91. Who has the right to the land of Palestine?
92. What should be our attitude toward disagreements among believers?
93. Should we not fight for the truth?
94. Why are God's promises so often called covenants?
95. Why does Paul call the message he dispensed a "new covenant" in 2 Corinthians 3:6?
96. Is predestination only for believers?
97. Is this [what you teach] not fatalism?
98. How can we know what is the right conduct for us today?
99. Does grace provide us enough power to live this way?
100. What should be our attitude toward our associates who abuse their freedom in Christ?
101. Can the word "brother" ever be translated "cousin?"
102. If all have sinned, how can God justify anybody?
103. With so many different teachings in the world how can you be sure who is right?
104. How can we be sure that the books we have in our "Bibles" are the inspired ones?
105. Is it wrong for believers to enjoy sports?
106. Does the fact that the "New Testament" was written in Greek instead of Hebrew indicate that it was written to the nations instead of the Jews?
107. Was there ever "primitive man" on the earth?
108. Just what was Peter censured for in Galatians when he withdrew from eating with the nations (Gal.2:11)?
109. Was God an enemy of man before the sacrifice of Christ for sin? Or was it only man who was an enemy of God?
110. What is your stand on the so-called "intermediate state?"
111. Isn't the church "spiritual Israel?
112. What about the theory that only the faithful remnant of the "ten lost tribes" of the northern kingdom have become the true Israel, while the southern kingdom of Judah (the "Jews") has been shut away from all the blessings?
113. Since God never sins, how can He possibly create evil?
114. Since the word 'rapture' does not appear in the Bible, why do you use it?
115. In John 12:32, in signifying by what death He was about to be dying (v.33), Jesus said, 'And I, if I should be exalted out of the earth, shall be drawing all to Myself.' I have been told that the Greek word for 'draw,' actually means 'drag.' Is this correct?
116. Do both Revelation 21 and 22 concern the new earth? Will righteousness be present only in the new Jerusalem, or throughout the new earth? Also, if there will be no illness, why is there a need for the cure of the nations (Rev.22:2)?
117. I have been taught that the Bible laws against unclean meats are still in effect today. My pastor says that the Bible reveals that such food sources as pork and shellfish are "unclean," hence are unfit for human consumption. He often says that all who wish to obey God will not eat such foods. What is your understanding of this subject?
This publication may be reproduced for personal use
(all other rights reserved by copyright holder).